Garage Door Child Safety.com

Garage Door Traps

It’s a trap, with no upside.

When a photo eye system functions improperly it can lead to entrapment.  Older garage door systems may not even have the photo eye sensors, and pose even a greater risk.

While there is some security in sensors that automatically reverse a garage door operation, when crossed while the door in moving up or down, there are drawbacks to those as well.

Improperly installed, the photo eye sensors can be easily compromised, adding a safety risk to use of the garage door.


South Milwaukee resident crushed against beam

By AMY BOEREMA

of the Journal Sentinel staff

Tuesday, May 22, 2001

A 76-year-old South Milwaukee man was killed over the weekend when his head became caught between a garage door and an I-beam support, according to police reports.

Kaiser Boyajian, who lived in the 2900 block of S. 8th Ave., was on a ladder in his garage painting the garage door when the door opener activated. The door moved upward, pushing his head into a beam. It was not known how the opener was activated, the reports say.

Boyajian's death was the second local death caused by garage doors in the past four years. In 1997, a 6-year-old Whitefish Bay ...

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-6887942.html

By Beth Boehne

Story Created: Jul 17, 2008 at 2:57 PM EST

Story Updated: Jul 17, 2008 at 2:57 PM EST

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Police say a 13-year-old Indianapolis boy died when a board used to prop open a garage door gave way and the door came down on his neck.

A police spokesman said Terry Lee Barnett was tinkering with an electric car when the two-by-four dislodged about 11 a.m. Thursday and he became pinned under the door.

Sgt. Paul Thompson says Barnett was trapped for as long as 15 minutes before a relative found him on the floor of the family's garage on the city's west side.

Barnett was taken to Riley Hospital for Children and pronounced dead a short time later.

Thompson says the door had no spring mechanism and relatives told investigators it was prone to falling.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/regional/25575794.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 19, 1989
Release # 89-029

36 Children Fatalities: Parents Hold The Key To Garage Door Deaths

WASHINGTON -- Citing the deaths of 36 children trapped under automatic garage doors since 1982, government safety experts are warning parents to take steps to prevent children from operating the garage doors.

According to the U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission the children who died were between the ages of 2 and 14, and some of them were believed to have been playing "the garage door game" when the accident occurred. In the game, children activate the control for the raised garage door, then dart under as it closes. The children died when they were pinned under the doors.

CPSC urged parents to keep remote control door opening devices secured in the car's glove compartment at all times. Wall-mounted push-button controls should be relocated so they are inaccessible to children. Prohibiting youngsters from playing in the garage is also recommended.

Homeowners, particularly parents and grandparents, should replace any garage door opener that does not have an automatic reverse function. Homeowners should install an opener equipped with an automatic reversing feature that had been certified as meeting the 1982 industry standard (Underwriters Laboratories 325 standard for door, drapery, gate, louver, and window operators and systems).

Homeowners having a garage door opener should test the automatic reverse feature every 30 days according to instructions in the owner's manual. A two-inch wooden block can be placed on the floor in the path of the descending door; if the door doesn't reverse on striking the block, the opener should be repaired or replaced with one certified as meeting the 1982 standard.

CPSC said garage door fatalities involving children have been reported in 21 states over the last seven years.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission protects the public from unreasonable risk of injury or death from 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury and for information on CPSC's fax-on-demand service, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270. To order a press release through fax-on-demand, call (301) 504-0051 from the handset of your fax machine and enter the release number. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information or report product hazards to info@cpsc.gov.

 

02:09 PM PDT on Saturday, October 3, 2009

KTVB

Falling Garage Door Kills Chi

A Caldwell woman died from her injuries after being pinned underneath this garage door at the County County Paramedics building Thursday.

CALDWELL -- A Caldwell woman has died from her injuries after being pinned last night under a garage door at the Canyon County Paramedic building in Caldwell.

Caldwell Police say that 35-year-old Melissa Farris attempted to go under the door as it was closing after an ambulance left the building. The call came into police at 11:25 p.m.

Farris became trapped and was not conscious or breathing when officers arrived on the scene. Police worked to get the door raised and were a ssisted by firefighters and paramedics.  Once freed, Farris was transported to St. Alphonsus Regional Medical Center in Boise, where she later died from her injuries.

The Canyon County coroner has listed the cause of death as ashyxiation.

The officers, paramedics, and firefighters that worked to get Farris free and revive her all knew her.

Investigators say her vehicle was located in a parking lot across the street and it appears she waited for the ambulance to leave before trying to gain entry to the building.

Farris is a former employee of Canyon County Paramedics, but her visit last night was not expected. On-duty personnel were not aware of her presence.

Investigators are still trying to determine why the safety mechanisms on the door did not engage.

www.nwcn.com

South Valley Journal

By Kristin Sokol

Boy's Life Saved by Police

A nine-year-old South Jordan boy owes his life to a fast acting police officer after being trapped under his family's automatic garage door.

Police haven't released the name of the boy who they say came home from school with his cousin recently to find the garage door open partway.

"The cousin went in the residence to hit the button to open the door, but the door shut for some reason instead of opening. The boy was crawling under the door at that exact moment and got trapped," South Jordan Police Officer Holden Rockwell said.

Police say no adults were present but a neighbor noticed the boy in distress and called 911.

"I thought he was gone when I got there. He was face down and not breathing," Rockwell said. "I tried to lift the door off of him, but it was locked from the inside. So I ran in the house and manually disengaged the locking mechanism inside the garage and lifted the door off of him."

Police estimate the boy was trapped under the door for at least 10 minutes and was not conscious or breathing when they arrived.

"Even though he wasn't breathing, his heart was still beating. I just cleared his airway for him and then heard the fire truck's sirens coming down the road. It all happened really fast," Rockwell said.

After paramedics arrived, the boy was transported via Life Flight to the hospital. Officers say he sustained traumatic injuries to his lungs as a result of the incident, but is expected to make a full recovery.

"I spoke with his grandmother on phone, to find out how he was doing. She said they expected him to make a full recovery, and that he is responding well to treatment," Rockwell said.

Police officers warn other residents to teach their children about garage door safety and remind residents to inspect garage doors periodically to ensure they are functioning properly.

"One of the problems here was the bounce back laser that would trip the door to go back up was aimed too high and was over his back when he was on the ground. There is another pressure release that should make the door go back up if it feels too much pressure in one spot. People should test that to make sure it is working properly," Rockwell said.

Rockwell has been nominated to receive the Life Saving medal from South Jordan City. The medal is awarded to those who in the course of their duties perform an act that greatly contributes to the saving of another human life.

"Our officers are committed to these people. They truly are public servants. Bless this man. If this were my son or your son, this is exactly the man I would want to show up," South Jordan Councilmember Leona Winger said. "This is just a great example of how our officers every day are serving the people."

Caption: South Jordan police remind parents about the safety hazards caused by leaving a garage door partially open after a recent incident where a South Jordan child was crushed after crawling underneath a door.

South Valley Journal


Pic
Pic
Pic
Pic
Pic
Pic
Pic